CameronEV – Electric Vehicles rejects substandard shoddy bikes
Will CameronEV set up manufacturing in Barbados?
We’ve followed the adventures our friend David Cameron for 2 years as he performed real world testing of electric bicycles in Barbados. David’s company CameronEV – Electric Vehicles is based in Ottawa Canada, and every four or five months he arrives in Bim with new technology and bigger plans.
BFP readers followed Cameron’s struggles to make it up Sugar Hill in 2009 and then guffawed in 2010 when he claimed he’d driven 176kms on the island for the sum total of one US dollar. That is, we laughed until we realized he’d done just that. Hmmmmmm… kind of makes the old blue Toyota look like the pig that it is!
We watched with surprise last April as David arrived in Hastings at a certain night spot with a pretty girl on the back and immediately collected a fairly substantial crowd of onlookers who were fascinated with the electric bike. (Clive shifted his attention to the bike too when he discovered that the lady in question was Mrs. Cameron. Hey… nice to see that Clive has some scruples left!)
“There is a cultural shift happening – solo BMW 4×4 drivers are the new smokers.”
Late in 2010, Cameron Industries (Barbados) was born with the goal of helping Barbados to go green – but as we saw earlier this year in March during David’s big test report, the quality of Electric-assisted bikes, well, sucks.
There are design and manufacturing problems with waterproofing of electrical components, corrosion of parts in our salt air and other issues that David can’t seem to solve no matter which supplier he looks to.
The David Cameron solution? Design and build better quality Electric bikes – and build them here in Barbados if possible.
Dave has plans. Big plans. The world is changing. Economical and reliable personal transportation is part of that change. There is a cultural shift happening – solo BMW 4×4 drivers are the new smokers. It will take time, but eventually conspicuous consumption and waste of energy will be looked at with disdain. Solo drivers of gas-guzzlers are the new smokers.
We have to live smaller. That doesn’t mean living inconveniently or without the freedom and economic benefits that come from access to personal transportation – but we can no longer afford the cost, waste and abuse of resources that it takes to drive a big 4×4 solo for every trip. Even if individuals can afford to drive their BMW 4x4s everywhere, we as a society can’t afford it.
From the website of CameronEV Electric Vehicles…
Rejection of Electric Vehicles made in the Far-East, India, the EU and North America; and the way ahead for the future.
Coupled with our research and testing in Canada and Barbados, CameronEV-Electric Vehicles attempt to obtain suitable units has proved to be totally futile from the current suppliers.
In the interests of our clients, CameronEV-Electric Vehicles will not order the units that are available due to the substandard quality of product and manufacturer service available.
The outcome of having no new units for 2011 is a reality.
The primary way-ahead is now to actually produce suitable units for 2012 based on the results of the research and testing over the past 3 years.
This production of our own units will:
- produce suitable units for sale, hire/rental and distribution that exceed the current standard:
- Alleviate the concerns of substandard parts and workmanship,
- Enable the application of a unit warranty far exceeding that available for electric vehicle units today,
- create employment in areas it is needed along with the job satisfaction of those involved in producing top-of-the-line units,
- Use the skill-sets available and taught now in the education system,
- raise the service standard to a consumer-acceptable standard,
- provide an ability to enhance and upgrade the product as required,
- lead the industry with examples to follow that will:
- Raise the quality of the electric vehicles that are available,
- Have the electric vehicle industry upgrade their products.
- strengthen the environmental awareness and respect electric vehicles are to support,
- must have government support and assistance for:
- Financial assistance for product development and production setup,
- Employment establishment for all staff (wherever in the world),
- Following and enhancing environmental awareness and respect.
- Obtain premium parts (based on our research and testing conducted):
- Order from top-of-the-line manufacturers for current suitable parts,
- Establish new part production, to the required standard, for parts that have to be upgraded (locations world-wide) ,
- Involve governments (Canada, Barbados & China for example),
- Organize shipping and supply lines.
- Set up a electric vehicle assembly plant:
- Establish workplace safety exceeding current levels,
- Establish the foundation for workplace satisfaction,
- Involve environmental awareness and respect,
- Involve government where we are (ie: Barbados, Canada & China).
- Establish distribution for retail and hire/rental operations:
- Train for an increased knowledge base and servicing of sales.
- Teach the consumer to expect the best for the price and provide options that are affordable to be considered.
- Exceptional product, leading the way, providing examples to follow,
- Satisfied customers, themselves being environmental and cost-aware,
- Employment of value where it is needed,
- Satisfied staff willing to learn more and more,
- Improved, always enhancing environmental awareness and respect,
- Involved governments for their citizens.
This action of rejection is a major step and CameronEV-Electric Vehicles will continue to provide all past, current and new customers with the level of servicing, repairs and training that will continue to exceed what is expected. This level of customer service will continue while implementing the plan for the future.
Experience has shown that our plans for a 2012 timeline to alleviate the concerns we have found could reach into the year(s) beyond. Everyone has to be flexible.
The timeline for 2012 is achievable but it will take more than the CameronEV-Electric Vehicle resources. Governments and people have to be involved.
Be involved in our plan and contact us, let’s work together to the benefit of all; the people themselves, their governments and the planet we live on!