Donville Inniss: Do you recognize the above website photo?
Happy Mother’s Day
Without repentance, there can be no forgiveness. That it true.
Health Minister Inniss has not repented…
by Passin Thru
Let’s say that a person legally immigrates to Barbados on a marital or employment status. They pay their taxes, have their pay deducted under the National Insurance Scheme. But five, six, seven, nine, ten years go by and their application for permanent residence is still “being processed”.
Then they get injured in an auto accident, or perhaps just start to get older and need some health care.
Health Minister Inniss has an answer: Immigrants needing health care should go back to where they came from because they are not welcome here.
Maybe that’s not true for everyone. Maybe if you were one of the women working in Barbados-based internet pornography you could get still free health care. Maybe I’m wrong.
Perhaps when Health Minister Inniss ran those pornographic websites, his women who performed sex acts online that he profited from were able to claim free health care in Barbados.
I don’t know.
I do know that Minister of Health Donville Inniss recently admitted that the entire immigration system is beyond control with 15,000 files backlog. The words “beyond control” are mine. The admission of 15,000 files backlog comes from Minister Inniss.
I have no answers, but I want to know if the sex workers who performed on the internet and made Inniss money were covered for free health care.
Minister Inniss: over to you.
Barbados Free Press requests that folks read the article at the Nation, but we have to reprint the entire article online here because sometimes the Nation removes or modifies articles to change history. Very naughty!
Minister Donville Inniss Opposition member Mia Mottley have conflicting views on immigrant health care, (FP)
BY CHRIS GOLLOP AND WADE GIBBONS | SUN, MAY 08, 2011 – 12:10 AM
A backlog of about 15 000 unprocessed immigrant applications has returned to haunt Government and the country’s health care system, says Minister of Health Donville Inniss.
He told the SUNDAY SUN yesterday his administration had inherited a situation where thousands of applications for varying kinds of immigrant status had not been processed.
He added the Immigration Department had been unable to process applications for both citizenship and permanent residence in a time-frame that would make most interested parties feel comfortable.
“In recent weeks we have been inundated with calls and complaints from people residing in Barbados for many years and who feel that they are entitled to free health care,” he said, explaining Government’s policy had always been that only Barbadian citizens and permanent residents were entitled to free treatment at public state-owned institutions.
According to the minister, Barbados had been very accommodating but the system had been abused. He noted people arrived in Barbados on the pretext of vacationing, incurred hefty health care costs, remained and never settled their bills.
“We also have several instances of fraudulent use of Barbados ID cards. . . . The only thing that we have done differently from the former administration is to insist on an appropriate means of ID being presented to health institutions,” he said.
But yesterday Opposition Member of Parliament Mia Mottley contended that though Inniss might mean well and cost-cutting measures might be needed across the board, the Ministry of Health was not a republic and the Immigration Department another state.
Mottley noted thousands of immigrants were no longer allowed to access free medical care even though they paid taxes and had monies deducted under the National Insurance Scheme (NIS). She added that they were now more vulnerable to diseases that could have serious consequences for the whole country.
“We have immigrants who have made applications for up to five years. They pay taxes, NIS and are eligible to vote, but [through] no fault of their own, they cannot have access to the health care system,” Mottley said.
Inniss reported that he had consulted with the ministry responsible for immigration about the number of outstanding applications and sought clarity on how soon they would be processed.
Efforts yesterday to reach Chief Immigration Officer Erine Griffith were unsuccessful.
Photo Credit: Got it off the web somewhere and we blacked out part of it. Perhaps Health Minister Inniss can tell us where it came from? Maybe he can’t. Don’t know which is worse.