Meet Doctor Sparman: Cardiologist, Registered Sex Offender
On Saturday, December 11, 2010, Barbados Free Press learned that Senior Consultant Cardiologist, Dr. Richard Ishmael had been suspended for writing a letter on hospital letterhead. What exactly the letter said, we don’t know. The Nation reported…
“Reports indicated that lawyers representing Health Minister Inniss and Sparman have issued an ultimatum to Ishmael to apologise by tomorrow and pay damages for his comments about them. Ishmael, who has been practising medicine for over 21 years, had been a high-profile figure during Thompson’s battle with pancreatic cancer.”
… from Nation News Ishmael Suspended
The next we heard was that patients were at risk due to the suspension of Dr. Ishmael. That seems reasonable to us given that Dr. Ishmael is one of a handful of cardiologists on the island. The QEH issued a totally unbelievable statement that since Dr. Ishmael’s suspension, the slack is being taken up via teleconferencing with a replacement in the USA. Now THAT really brings confidence to a parent hearing that!
Dr Clyde Cave, the acting head of the Department of Paediatrics, said that heart care at the QEH had been significantly compromised by Dr. Ishmaiel’s suspension and the lives of at least four critically ill children were at stake.
The apparent subject of Dr. Ishamel’s letter, Dr. Alfred Sparman, came to Barbados under a cloud in 2002, but earned the respect of patients and colleagues over the years. It is not often that a man who is still registered as a sexual offender in the USA, and has been convicted of using false names and “false statements and representations and engaged in fraud and deceit in gaining admission to practice” becomes a cardiologist in Barbados.
No sir. Highly uncommon for a person with Dr. Sparman’s background to practice medicine in Barbados.
Rumours abound about Dr. Sparman’s criminal past, and one story has it that the USA sodomy and abduction conviction in 1995 stemmed from a domestic situation. Another story says of Dr. Sparman:
– There is evidence which shows that at various time the applicant has used the following names Alfred W. Sparman, Alfred Eversley, Fred Eversley and John Freddman
– Sparman was arrested in June 26 1986 in New York for the offense of criminal impersonation. He was convicted upon a guilty plea for disorderly conduct and fined
– On June 14, 1991 Sparman was arrested and charged in New York for attempted sodomy, sexual abuse and unlawful imprisonment. He was convicted after trial of sexual abuse – forcible compulsion and sentenced to five years probation
– On June 6, 2001 Sparman was registered as a sex offender in the state of Florida
– Following a hearing in the State of Tennessee Department of Health, the Board of Examiners found that Sparman had “engaged in unprofessional dishonourable and unethical conduct”. The same body also found that Sparman made “false statements and representations and engaged in fraud and deceit in gaining admission to practic”.
– There were several social security numbers listed to Sparman, a total of four.
Does Sparman’s past have anything to do with the current situation?
And how is Minister of Health Donville Innis involved?
Without access to the facts, all Bajans can do is to speculate.
And in the meantime, seriously ill children lack the attention they deserve because the bosses at the QEH have chosen to prioritize administrative rules over patient health.
Our opinion? To Hell with the bosses at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital who suspended Doctor Ishamael. Patient welfare must come first.
Again: To HELL with the bosses at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital!