No water for fire fighters at scene
In April 2009, Barbados Free Press predicted Sam Lord’s would burn. We said in our article How CLICO Ruined A Barbados Heritage Site: Sam Lord’s Castle…
“Five years ago CLICO Barbados said they would restore Sam Lords Castle as part of a major tourist development. Surprise, surprise… as they did in the past and have done since about other things — CLICO lied.
You see folks, this is the way it works with these irresponsible corporate beggars…
First, they spot a piece of land that they want. If, like Sam Lords Castle, it is a heritage site in need of some work the corporation promises to restore the heritage site to its former splendor — all in exchange of course for permission to develop the land. Next comes the “the condition was worse than we thought” speech. After a few years of additional neglect, the heritage site becomes nothing more than a candidate for demolition. And if that doesn’t work, well, the Corporation just leaves the place unguarded and unlocked so the paros can look after business for them. When the place finally burns down the way is clear for the development they really wanted to build.”
A strategy of neglect
That’s how it happened my friends, and it did not happen without the complicity of those in power. In this case the strategic neglect started under the BLP Owen Arthur government and continued to the present day under the DLP Thompson government.
Somebody will make a bundle on that fire, but the poor suckers who keep paying and paying and paying are we taxpayers and our children.
Coming your way soon to where Sam Lord’s Castle used to stand: some concrete condo or row housing that looks like everything else.
Crocodile Tears from Leroy Parris
Leroy Parris: Never hired a watchman for Sam Lord’s. Never put plastic on the roof to stop the water. Did nothing at all to preserve or prevent the deterioration of Sam Lord’s Castle during the years it was in his care. Now that it burned, Parris says this…
Former chairman and director CLICO, Leroy Parris, told this newspaper he was “disappointed” at the news of the fire. He also commented that it was a shame for such a historic building to have been lost in such a manner.
… from the Barbados Advocate article Island’s only ‘castle’ gutted by fire
From Barbados Free Press contributor Colin L. Beadon…
“Once, our major tourist attraction.
The car park at Sam Lords used to be full of busses and taxis, and the little restaurants outside did a bustling trade with thirsty camera- swinging tourists who came to look over the Castle, taking photos at every step, inside and out. Sam Lords, used to be the proud, shining delight of Barbados. Now it is a burnt ruin.
We spend 84 million dollars, US$, to work over our caves, yet we can’t find the wages of day and night watchmen to guard against the vandalism of our world famous National Icon, a Castle.
Shame, sick shame, shame, deep dreadful shame on us, that we have allowed such a travesty, such a tragedy; and here we had been hoping for world heritage status. How much more stupid can we become?”
Nation News (thanks for the photo guys!): Fire at Sam Lord’s Castle
The Bajan Reporter: Breaking News – Sam Lord’s Castle burning. Where is the hidden treasure?
BFP, September 1, 2009: Leroy Parris and CLICO – The NEW Pirates of the Caribbean and the rape of Sam Lord’s Castle
David Ross website, July 16, 2009: A Visit to Sam Lord’s Castle
BFP: April 11, 2009: How CLICO Ruined A Barbados Heritage Site: Sam Lord’s Castle