UPDATED: September 7, 2010 10:11pm Bridgetown, Barbados
Story now thought to be widely circulated rumour. Unfounded, probably not true.
As received from several readers, this second email is from Gordon Seale. Mr. Seale also posted additional remarks in the comments section following the article…
“I had been told a few days before that an awful crime had occurred. I was incensed and tracked down the person to verify. I have known her for about 50 years. She told me that it was true and that she had spoken to her daughter who had been in touch with the family who did not want their information known, so no names etc.
I sent out an email to some influential people and some friends and this e mail has been widely – I mean very widely circulated.
Yesterday I was in touch with the Police at a senior level and they put detectives to investigate the matter. No one has been able to confirm any aspect of this having taken place. I had contacts with the Air Ambulance people etc. They have no record. Nothing was reported to the Police and they had heard nothing, so obviously had not been able to investigate. The QEH which one would expect would have been called have no record according to Peter Gilkes.
I can also say that the Senator Peter Gilkes was on this immediately and has been inundated with e mails and phone calls.
The long and short of this is that this rumored incident cannot be verified and seems to be inaccurate at best.
I should have carried out further investigations prior to sending this e mail out, one fails to realize the speed at which e mails can mushroom, it is truly astounding.
It is a relief to report that unless further verifiable evidence is presented then we must assume this matter was at best an exaggeration.
It would be quite important that you take the trouble to circulate this e mail to all those who you sent the original e mail to and ask them to do likewise.
Original Article as published September 6, 2010 23:12 hours GMT…
Rumour or Truth? Tourists from Ireland are the purported victims
Hundreds of people in Barbados have received an email telling of a horrific crime against tourists around Kadooment. Barbados Free Press knows that hundreds of people have seen the emails because dozens of our readers forwarded it to us along with the emails of all who had previously received it. You know how that ‘forward to all’ function in your email works.
The email was reportedly written by Gordon Seale of Bougainvillea Beach Resort. We haven’t called him for obvious reasons, but perhaps one of our readers can do so and let us know the results or have Mr. Seale stop by BFP.
That a serious crime, especially against a foreign family on holiday, was not reported in the media is not unusual at all. There have been many instances where stories of violence were covered up. Don’t want to upset the potential tourists, you know! Look here, here, here and here for a few examples.
Our question: “Is the story in the email true?”
If the story is true – it’s news and we should be questioning the dishonest censorship of our news media.
If the email story is a HOAX, better to address it in public here than to keep it circulating to hundreds more people.
The sad truth is that we should be able to say “Oh, if such a serious crime wasn’t reported in the news, I doubt that it happened and it’s probably a hoax” – but without confidence in our news media we are unable to do that. When our Barbados news media has a proven track record of covering up violent crime against tourists, we citizens just can’t trust our journalists to deliver the whole truth every day. Sad, really.
So let’s have some confirmation or denial for the hundreds or more people who have received this email and wondered if it’s true.
Here is the email. REMEMBER IT COULD BE A HOAX. That’s what we’re trying to determine…
“From management of Bougainvillea
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device from LIME.
(recipients’ email addresses and names removed by Barbados Free Press)
I am very sad to report that the rumour of this awful crime has been confirmed.
Here’s what I know to be a fact; a Barbadian couple living in Ireland (I believe) came home on holiday and rented a private house in Maxwell. They went out for the evening sometime around Kadooment, leaving a son 17, another son 15 and a daughter 13 at home. Two men entered the home and beat the boys very badly, breaking one boy’s arm in 2 places. The little girl was raped both ways so severely that she sustained a broken back and broken pelvis. When the parents arrived they had to call an air ambulance and immediately flew the kids to the hospital in Miami.
I do not know if this was the reason nothing has been heard in the press or whether the family wants to remain anonymous for fear of what affect this could have on the little girl.
I am sure you will be as shocked as I am at this crime but I assume these 2 animals are walking among us.
I plan to schedule a meeting with the Senior Superintendent at Oistins early next week to find out what has been done to catch them. I will offer a reward for their capture once convicted.
Bougainvillea Beach Resort
REMEMBER THE ABOVE EMAIL COULD BE A HOAX. That’s what we’re trying to determine.
UPDATED: Another email received by many… but is it true?
This is another email making its way around Bajan computers. Is it true?
“September 3, 2010
Last night a friend and work colleague’s son was attacked and robbed at gun point by 2 men wearing masks while he was leaving the First Caribbean ATM at Rendezvous (Barbados). He was beaten up about the head and shoulders by the butt of the gun and kicked and cuffed about his body. His mobile phone, jewellery, money and car were stolen.
If you have seen a (registration #, colour, year and model removed by BFP pending confirmation), please contact the nearest Royal Barbados Police Force police station. Please share this information with all of your friends in the hopes that someone can give any information that can assist the police.”