Now There’s Daddy’s New Fishing Boat!
(UPDATE: According to Adrian Loveridge, the boat is going to the Cliff Restaurant)
UNION — It meant the power was switched off for a few hours on a hot day, but no one seemed to mind.
Because how often do you get to see a $3-million, 75-tonne yacht sail right through the heart of the farmbelt — on land?
That was all the buzz here yesterday as the behemoth boat — named Aurora — was transported by road from St. Thomas to Port Stanley, where it will be launched after some finishing touches and set sail to Barbados…
… read the complete article at the London Free Press (link here)
Hey… love that newspaper’s name! Thanks to a special friend for sending us the tip.
UPDATE: Here’s an article with more detail…
Wed Aboard a Barbados Yacht
March 2006 — Soon couples will have a new option for elegant weddings in Barbados: the Aurora. Presently being built in Canada, Aurora is an elegant 136-foot Edwardian Gentlemen’s Yacht with intricate detailing and exquisite appointments. Even better: the yacht is part of Brian Ward’s The Cliff Restaurant, named one of the “Top 50 Restaurants in the World” by Restaurant Magazine’s panel of experts. The two of you and your wedding party will be able to enjoy Chef Paul Owens’ culinary creations while cruising the tranquil waters of the Caribbean Sea off Barbados’ famous West Coast.
About the Yacht: The Aurora has been deliberately designed to mirror a restaurant on land, with large bathrooms featuring relaxing lounges and spacious accommodations. Aurora also features four spacious “on suite” cabins, five bathrooms, and a full restaurant kitchen, and can accommodate up to 40 guests in a traditional dining setting and up to 80 in alfresco dining.
Ideal for couples seeking a truly unique experience, Aurora is equipped with the full-time staff of a captain, engineer, chef and restaurant staff, ensuring that all arrangements run smoothly. A bar, several shaded and open-air deck spaces, an air-conditioned, traditional club-like lounge, a massage room, a quiet room for older guests or children, as well as a variety of options for water sports, round out the Aurora’s offerings.
The Aurora will begin her journey down the North American East Coast to The Cliff in September 2006. Those wishing to book the Aurora can do so starting December 1.
The Wedding Package:
Starting at $20,000, the Aurora‘s basic wedding package includes:
- The choice of private dressing rooms for the bride and groom to prepare, or arrival in dramatic fashion by a small boat transfer.
- A traditional ceremony, led by a fully certified Captain (officiant), which takes place either in a beautiful bay surrounded by trees or on high sea while cruising. Both covered and open-air decks are available, including an open deck on the top level boasting panoramic views.
- A full dinner reception either at anchor or while sailing the Caribbean waters featuring gourmet cuisine prepared by The Cliff Chefs under Owens’ direction.
- Following dinner, an all-night party with cake, dancing, and more. Couples have use of the Aurora into the morning hours with no additional charge.
Starting at $38,000, the two-night wedding package is an extension of the basic wedding package, including all of the above, as well as:
- providing overnight accommodations in a luxury cabin for the newlyweds
- Following the reception, guests disembark and the bride and groom have exclusive use of the Aurora
- The next morning, the couple is served a bridal breakfast by the crew and guests are then invited back for a day-long farewell party.
All couples booking a wedding on Aurora also receive exclusive access to Melissa Blackman of “Weddings by Melissa.” In recent years, Melissa has planned the weddings of several stars and she will be on hand throughout the Aurora wedding planning process to alleviate stress and handle all needs.
Melissa and The Cliff/Aurora team will build customized packages to create each couple’s perfect wedding. An a la carte wedding menu (pricing not included in basic package prices) includes flowers, décor, entertainment, etc. Everything is possible with a wedding aboard the Aurora.
“Over the years, I’ve met stressed out brides at wedding receptions held at The Cliff” said Brian Ward. “By designing a full-service wedding program at The Cliff and now aboard Aurora, we’ve made destination weddings in Barbados as fun, exciting, and tailor-made, as they should be.”
For more information or reservations:
call 246 432 1922 and ask about Aurora.