DLP Candidate & Journalist Target Of Apparent Election Violence
The Royal Barbados Police Force are investigating a shot fired at the home of Democratic Labour Party DLP Candidate Irene Sandiford-Garner but appear to have written it off as a “stray bullet”. The shooting incident happened on Sunday, July 29th but was revealed by Sandiford-Garner on the CBC last Friday after a further incident Friday morning when human feces was found smeared on the door, railing and steps of her business.
Sandiford-Garner informed Barbados Free Press readers of the incidents this morning when she wrote the following post…
Following a chat with the police last Friday I told Barbados, via the CBC Evening News that two incidents occurred – one at my home and one at my business. I checked with the police before going public.
It was confirmed last week that it was indeed a bullet fired through my kitchen window three Sunday nights ago and last Friday morning human faeces was deposited on a newspaper on the steps of my business and smeared all over the door and railings. The sponge used to smear it was left there. The law called it criminal damage. Usually when people deposit feaces at homes, churches and businesses (which apparently happens in Barbados with sickening regularity) they do not take the time to smear it.
Following extensive interviews with neighbours, family etc and other investigations the police have not determined a motive re the bullet incident at my home. The faeces incident is too recent for a report yet.
I must add here that the squad from the Northern Division and their chief were extremely professional and prompt – detectives and forensic personnel.
Following the news item on Friday I received a call from District D station to “update me” positing the theory that it could have been a “stray bullet”. I was told that there had been reports of sounds of shots in the distance before and after my incident. I wanted to know why would my house which is located in a residential neighbourhood be the only one to receive a “stray” bullet? Was the faeces stray poop too? The officer had no answer, and I understand she would not.
And why now? I wrote for years – even before the recent Nation column I used to write all kinds of pieces in the Nation as a staffer in the 80’s, some which would cause people to cuss me – and nothing of the sort has ever, ever happened to me or my family.
I cannot tell you why it has happened. I cannot tell anyone what the motive is. But it happened.
I would be lying if I said it did not have an effect; it did. Especially on the older folks – grandmas and grandads -and other family and friends who are concerned.
But I stick by my earlier posting. I am more focused than ever. I cannot afford to be distracted.
… Read Irene Sandiford-Garner’s comments here
DLP Candidate Is Also Journalist Who Has Been Critical Of Barbados Government
Are we seeing a pattern here yet, folks?
– Columnist Adrian Loveridge fired from the Barbados Advocate upon threats from Tourism Minister to remove government advertising from the newspaper.
– Deputy Prime Minister Mia Mottley calls for censorship of blogs and radio & TV talk-shows – saying that these “marginalize Parliament”
– Government BLP Blog endorses Mottley’s call for censorship of blogs and call-in shows on radio and television.
– Barbados Minister of Tourism dictates to StarCom Network that “Adrian Loveridge not allowed on Brass Tacks radio show panel.”
– Radio talk show host and journalist David Ellis is threatened by government lawyers and on the government’s BLP blog after questioning Tourism Minister Noel Lynch about his sudden financial success. (Story links here, here, here and here)
– Barbados journalist Robert Best admits the Barbados journalists know about corruption by are not free to investigate and report it.
– BLP Government’s Tourism Authority distributes secret dossier on hotel owner and journalist Adrian Loveridge calling him “racist” (link here)
– Three journalists roughed up by police thugs while covering story at Queen Elizabeth Hospital (links here)
– Arson, Burglary & Bedroom Spying all on one day at home of journalist Adrian Loveridge who is critical of government. (link here)
– Police thugs assault journalists, rip camera and cell phone from their hands, erase accident scene photos. (link here)
– Shot fired at the home of journalist & DLP Candidate Irene Sandiford-Garner. Police investigate and declare accidental “stray shot”
– Human faeces smeared on door, railing and step at business of journalist & DLP Candidate Irene Sandiford-Garner.
Dear Prime Minister
Thugs are attacking Barbados journalists and opposition candidates. Democracy and freedom of the press are under attack.
Please rein in your government