UPDATED: June 13, 2012
“CONTRACTOR AL BARRACK HAS declared war on Government, saying Minister of Finance Chris Sinckler’s unfulfilled promises had convinced him it was not serious about paying him.
An angry Barrack, who was awarded $34 million by the law courts six years ago after suing Government over the completion of the Warrens Office Complex, said yesterday he was tired of being turned around, and would now do whatever it takes to recover every cent he and his creditors are owed – with accrued interests, $75 million.”
… from the June 13, 2012 Nation News article Fed Up Barrack
Barbados is broke and cannot, will not, pay a court-ordered judgement to building contractor Al Barrack. Mr. Barrack is ruined because there is no real rule of law ‘pon this rock. Successive Barbados governments ignore or obey the courts as convenient and right now it’s not convenient to pay Al Barrack the 70 million dollars as the court ordered.
So Mr. Barrack is in back in the papers saying he has “declared war on the government.” Yes… THAT should teach the Barbados government a lesson! LOL!
The real lesson here is that if you do business with or on Barbados, you’d better pray that everything goes well when it comes time to pay – because the courts don’t matter. It’s all about the cartels. Mr. Barrack thought he was favoured to get a huge government contract without an open bidding process, but it was all a set-up.
Says the Barbados government to Al Barrack… “Thanks, sucker!”
Original story first published April 5, 2011…
Al Barrack says “Don’t trust the Barbados Government!”
by Nevermind Kurt (with Cliverton)
Poor Al has a message for businesses and foreign investors:
Beware when you do business with the government of Barbados, because the court is the government and the government is the court.
The Government of Barbados screwed building contractor Al Barrack $65 million dollars. That’s what the Barbados court ruled. Al built the new office complex at Warrens, but when previously unknown caves raised costs, the Barbados government didn’t live up to their side of the deal. That’s what the Barbados court found as it ruled against the Government of Barbados and determined that Barbados owed Al sixty-five big ones. That’s with an “M” for “million”.
“Oh? You want the money?” said the same court, “That’s a different matter.”
Poor Al is now reduced to writing letters to world leaders. As if they care and as if those leaders would side against an offshore banking centre like Barbados. A big chunk of the world leaders probably have funds flowing through Bridgetown ‘an their own countries don’t know.
You think they are going to side against Barbados, Al?
Last October poor Al dressed in whiteface for a photo op. Al made a fool of himself and sold papers, but it didn’t help his cause. When you’re dressed like a clown, folks don’t take you seriously.
Al’s also written to the BBC, CNN etc trying to direct the world’s attention to an injustice in our little country with fewer than 300,000 souls. And those same news organisations make millions every year from the Barbados Tourism Authority.
Al, face it. The world might care in passing, but the BTA advertising budget ensures that no news organisation will pay you never no mind. You’re screwed, Al. There is no rule of law in Barbados because even it you are in the right the government-controlled courts will keep you going round in circles until you die.
On an island of fewer than 300,000 people EVERYTHING is politics including the court. Doing business with the government of Barbados is fine, fine so fine… until something goes wrong.
Go ahead Al: write world leaders like they would even bother to pass wind for you.
Here’s a better idea, Al: Go fishing. Enjoy your children and the few simple pleasures you have left in life after they took everything from you.
It would probably be a better use of your time – except that if you continue you can alert others what foreign investors and business people can expect from Barbados when something goes wrong.
Hmmmmmm…. maybe something there. As Sun Tzu might have said… “Beware the man with nothing to lose.”
Here’s the latest from The Nation in the Al Barrack torture story. As usual we remind folks to go to The Nation to read their article, but we have to re-print the entire article here because they have proven they will delete the news when the big-ups tell them to. (Although, frankly we’re surprised and pleased that The Nation and other Bajan news media are following Al’s story.)
Barrack on the attack
Another blow has been dealt to Barbados’ international image one week after a Jamaican alleged she was “finger raped” on entry by local authorities and a British woman cited police neglect for her rape and that of others back in 2004.
In a separate move, not connected to either the Jamaican Shanique Myrie or Briton Hilary Heath complaints, prominent building contractor Al Barrack is seeking justice of his own.
Barrack has launched an intense letter-writing campaign to have Barbados blacklisted globally for human rights injustices and ill-treatment of Caribbean Community (Caricom) nationals.
So far, letters have been sent to the heads of government of each Caricom state, except Haiti, and the United Nations office for Human Rights in Geneva, Switzerland.
Barrack, who is a Vincentian, is also preparing to send letters to the leaders of the main opposition parties in Caricom, the local embassies of foreign governments, as well as to international news agencies CNN, BBC, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation and several renowned newspapers such as The Times in England.
His intention is to highlight the non-payment of a 2004 court awarded judgment against Government, now estimated at nearly $70 million in principal and interest charges, in connection with the building of the state-owned Warrens Office Complex.